Sunday 5 January 2014

Sunshine Award

This was sent to my via a teacher, Sarah, who I met last February at the conference on Helping Vulnerable Readers Thrive.  I admire Sarah and had been reading her blog long before I met her.  It was so great to meet her face to face.

Here is a description of this blogging, twitter-generated, meme type task:

The Sunshine Award gives others an opportunity to learn about me as a blogger and then, in turn, I will send sunshine the way of 11 (or so) other fine bloggers for you to get to know! Although I know that everyone is busy at this time of the year, I hope that the bloggers that I nominate will be able to share a few interesting things about themselves.  They can then highlight bloggers that they have enjoyed following.

Here are the rules:

Acknowledge the nominating blogger.  Share 11 random facts about yourself.  Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.  List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers that you believe deserve some recognition! Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know that they have been nominated.  You can't nominate the blogger who nominated you.

11 Random Facts about Me

1. I grew up in Richmond and my parents still live in the same house that I grew up in.

2. I am the oldest of 4 and my little brother is 11 years younger than me.

3. In elementary school I was always the last picked for any sports.

4. I have an excellent memory and I very rarely use a calendar to record activities and appointments.

5. I am a fast reader and can finish a book in a day.

6. I dated my husband for 10 years before we married (we started dating at age 15).

7. I have a family cabin on the beach.  Last year we took our old cabin down and built a new one.  Now we can use it year round.


8. I love the ocean.  I love to sit on the beach and reflect, read and listen to the waves.  I love the crashing waves and salty smell in the air.

9. I have 2 boys and two crazy dogs.

10. When I was younger I wanted to be a jockey.

11. I am not a very good cook but luckily I have a husband who is a great cook and enjoys cooking most days.  


Now the questions that Sarah had for me:

1. What is your middle name and why do you have it? 
My middle name is Elizabeth.  I was named after both of my grandmothers.

2. Who is your favourite family member and why?
That is hard to answer as I have 2 sisters, a niece and a mother.  I would have to say that I loved and miss my grandmother.  I spent a lot of time with her as a child and teen and she was very influential in my life.

3. What do you do that you wish that you didn't?
I wish that I was more of a home body.  I have trouble sitting still for too long.

4. What is your secret addiction? or confession that you are willing to make?
I like watching Hallmark Movies and cheesy Christmas movies.  My favourite cheesy movie to watch is the Brady Bunch Christmas.

5. If you could do any other job what would it be?
I really enjoy teaching and can't think of any other job that I would want to do.  I guess maybe be a famous actress.

6.What is your favourite breakfast meal?
My favourite breakfast is called the Gumboot Hash from this great restaurant called the Gumboot.  It is hashbrowns, aged cheddar, avocado, and over easy eggs.

7.What sport would you love to be good at?
Ice hockey and then I could coach my son's hockey team.

8. Do you watch the Olympics on TV? Why or why not? 
I try to watch them but often have to drive my boys to various activities.

9. What is in your freezer right now?
Ice, bread and left over appetizers from holiday entertaining.

10. What were you afraid of as a child?
I was afraid of bees as a child because I was swarmed by them and remember feeling them crawl on my eyes, lips, cheeks, and not being able to do anything but stand in fear.  They eventually stung me.

11. What is your favourite colour? Why?
I love blue because it is calming and the colour of the ocean.  I don't tend to wear much blue though.  I wear mostly black and grey.


Post 11 questions for the bloggers that I nominate:

1. What is your favourite season and why?

2. Where is the farthest that you have travelled?

3. What is your favourite time of the day?

4. What is your favourite TV show?

5. Do you have a favourite movie?

6. What was your most memorable vacation?

7. What kind of genre do you enjoy reading?

8. What is one of the scariest things you have ever done?

9. What is your favourite childhood memory?

10. What makes you happiest?

11. If you could go anywhere tomorrow where would you go?

As I try to figure out who to acknowledge and encourage ( share some sunshine with) as their blogs inspire in various ways I am hitting a road block.  I am realizing that most people have already done this so I am going to highlight their blogs and if they have already done this homework I don't expect them to do it again.

Carrie Gelson

Iram Khan

Tia Henriksen

Tracey Bowers

Beverly Bunker

Deirdre Bailey

Gallit Zvi

Anne-Marie  Middleton

Michelle Hiebert

Jenni van Rees

Diana Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment