Sunday 7 April 2013

Teaching Math using iPads

A student using the app Draw and Tell to make an equation.
Using cuisenaire rods and the app Popplet to make equations for 12

This year I have been on a journey to include more technology in my teaching.  I have learned along the way that it is not about the iPad but rather it is about the learning.  It is not about using technology for the sake of using iPads but it is about making it a part of the daily learning.  Technology is another tool just like paper and pencils.  It is another way for students to consolidate and explain their learning.  Technology gives students choice in how they show their learning.  For this reason, we should focus less on fancy drill and practise apps and more on creation based apps.  I look for apps where students can show their creativity as well as explain their thinking.


This year, I have 5 iPads in my classroom.  I have been working on using the apps during math as a way to enhance my students' learning and to give them choice on how to explain their learning.  My favourite apps to use during math are Draw and Tell, Popplet, Explain Everything, iMovie, and Kidblog.  Next I would like to introduce the students to Educreations.  After we work on a math concept my students choose how to show their learning.  Some choose to create using manipulatives, some use paper and pencil, some use manipulatives and iPads, and some just use iPads.
My students often put their work on their individual blogs.  Here is one of the students using her blog to show her learning.


This is a student using cuisenaire rods and the app Draw and Tell to make an addition equation.  She then uploaded it onto her blog.


 Technology is a great tool for teaching but we have to remember that it is only one of the tools and that what is really important is the teaching and learning.  Technology gives students more choice on how they learn and gives them opportunities to explain their learning to a wider audience.  It also helps them to make more connections with their learning and with people.  At the end of the day it is not about the fancy apps but rather how the students can use the apps to help them with their learning.

How do you use iPads in your classroom?



1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I'm always looking for effective ways to use the iPad. Our students enjoy the Feltboard App and Explain Everything for storytelling.
    Thanks for sharing. Louise

    ReplyDelete